vrijdag 12 mei 2017

Update on the Amibian Hackaton

INTRODUCTION.

After a couple of days I came to the conclusion that Amibian has only one goal: turn your Raspberry PI into a classic Commodore-Amiga and it does this very well and extremely efficiently.

Unfortunately it has a number of issues.

1. UNRELIABLE NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

The network connections (both Ethernet and WiFi) are very unreliable. I lost connection time and again.

2. NOT SUITABLE AS A GENERAL PURPOSE LINUX DISTRO.

It is not suitable for a general purpose Linux distro on your RPI.

I installed Xorg and the minimalist Fluxbox Window Manager (to be able to run DOSBOX).

To solve issue 1, I installed NetworkManager and its Gnome front-end, which doesn't work right :-(

Additionally I installed the complete LXDE in my despair, assuming that would solve issue 1.

Man, I was wrong. Time and again Amibian "spontaneously" shuts down LXDE and starts yet another instant of UAE4ARM.

WTF?

3. ROOT ALL THE WAY.

Amibian doesn't create a user, you'll run all the time as a superuser. You've got to be !@#$% kidding me!

CONCLUSION.

The are a number of issues here.

1. Raspbian - nor any other RPI Linux distro I know of includes UAE4ARM;
2. Amibian is extremely buggy and not good enough for a general purpose Linux distribution.

I hope general purpose Linux distributions for the RPI will provide UAE4ARM.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen