dinsdag 24 juli 2012

The Traditional Desktop PC is Dying


I remember a post from Mark Kent (in my favourite Usenet Newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy), stating that the end of the Desktop was near. I didn't argue with Mark about that article, liked his plausible statement, yet it had a "hum, ho" and "we'll see" effect on me.

Mobile devices like Smartphones and Tablets where somewhat underpowered, but the times have changed.

Last week I bought a new TomTec 10 Ultimate (9.7 Inch) Tablet, running Android ICS 4.0.3.

It's a "El Cheapo", marketed at least under 4 different "Brands" in The Netherlands and Belgium only and it's also available in the UK under yet another brand:



Anyway, it's a nice tablet for that small amount of money and it provides everything one could ever wish for.

I bought a HDMI cable and a MicroHDMI to HDMI converter plug, which I connect to my Linux Powered Samsung 32 inch TV and plug in the USB receiver of my whireless Logitech Keyboard and mouse set. And there you have it: another pseudo desktop running on Android ICS 4.0.3.

Once it's rooted I'm able to install ether Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu on it in a chrooted environment, via Linux Installer from Google Play.

So why on Earth should I invest in another traditional Desktop or Laptop Computer? I can have it all on one nice and mobile device.

I am looking forward to buy a "Ubuntu For Android" phone.

Mark Kent was right all the way, albeit ahead of his time: the traditional desktop is passé!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen